Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Maximizing a Tripcation


Just recently I was able to get away for a little vacation time.  Technically, it was more of a trip than a vacation.  Vacations, by definition, involve just Josie and me, the beach and lots of sunshine.  Trips, on the other hand, involve our kids and everything that comes with them—tantrums, whining, and lots of bickering between siblings.  In my experience, it’s really easy to get refreshed and rejuvenated on a vacation, but it’s often much more challenging to do so on a trip.  And nothing is worse than setting aside time to get away from the daily grind only to return less rested than before you left.  This has happened to me a number of times and it totally sucks.  So here are a few things that I try to do to maximize any tripcation.

Sleep In & Take Naps
When I am on a tripcation, I sleep a lot.
Rarely do I get to head out on vacation right when I need it.  It’s usually a few weeks after I realize I am running on empty.  And so the last few weeks are always a push.  I use up whatever energy I have left.  So it’s important on a tripcation to simply rest.  You need to give yourself permission to be a bit lazy.  I was actually surprised how much I slept on this most recent trip.  It’s like all the pushing and striving and hustling over the last few weeks just caught up to me.  I found myself falling asleep in random places and at totally random times.  Some of them were catnaps, but others were major naps, drool and all. I gave myself permission to rest and I took advantage of it.

Ditch the Kids
When I am on a tripcation, Josie and I plan a night where we ditch our kids.  With young kids, it’s hard to get away.  But we both think it’s really important.  This past trip we spent a night away in downtown Minneapolis.  We ate out, explored new places, and spent lots of time talking (without any interruptions!).  The entire getaway was only about 24 hours, but I can’t even tell you how valuable it was.  It filled me up.  It filled Josie up.  It filled our relationship up.  I realize it’s expensive.  And I realize it requires planning.  But it’s worth the time and energy and financial resources.  Josie and I have never regretted ditching our kids.  

Engage in Bucket-Fillers
When I am on a tripcation, I strategically engage in activities that fill me up.  Like, I hate the game Scrabble.  Thinking intensely about small words isn’t fun to me.  So I don’t play Scrabble on vacation (or tripcation).  Instead, I choose activities I really enjoy and that fill me up.  This past trip included lots of reading, running, and time playing with my boys in the pool.  Obviously this will look different for each person.  Some people might find the idea of running on vacation like a never-ending game of Scrabble.  That’s fine.  The key here is to find activities that you enjoy, that fill your bucket, and then commit to doing them intentionally.  This is a non-negotiable for any rejuvenating vacation.    

Connect with Fun People
When I am on a tripcation, I try to connect with people that I really enjoy.  Obviously this assumes that there are some people I don’t enjoy.  Yep, that’s true.  And in general, I prefer to avoid them! J  This most recent trip was filled with fun people and meaningful connection.  I hung out with a friend in ministry, had dinner with my sisters, caught up with some college friends, got time with my in-laws, and enjoyed a bon fire with my brother and sister-in-law.  We didn’t get to see everyone we enjoy, but we saw quite a few.  And it was great.  Memories were created.  Relationships went deeper. 

Take Some Inventory
When I go on a tripcation, the slower pace allows me to take some inventory.  For me, this always happens in God’s presence.  When I am taking inventory of my life, I want to hear God’s voice.  And it usually extends in a few different directions.  One direction, I’ve noticed, is gratitude.  I typically spend time taking inventory of things I am thankful for but have been too busy to notice or acknowledge: my wife, my kids, friendships, the fact that I have a job, etc.  I simply spend time thanking God for each of those things.  I’d say another major direction is priorities.  I reflect on my pace of life—what’s been added, what’s been taken away, what belongs, what needs to be removed.  I celebrate successes.  I reflect on mistakes.  I ask God for direction on things open-ended.  I’ve found that when you step outside of the daily grind, you often notice things or get clarity on things you otherwise wouldn’t.  That’s what taking inventory is all about.     

No comments:

Post a Comment